<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 24, 2004

annoyances
it's annoying that i was once thought to be the delivery man when i walked into my buildling one day during lunch. i had been working at my place a month and usually i walk in without showing my id since most of the security guards recognize me. but one day the security guard stopped me and said "you have the use the other elevator?" wha? she pointed at the service elevator which was for deliveries. i yelled at her for discrimating me for my age and ethnicity (most of the people that work in my building are old and white) and i didn't see her after one week.

ok, so that was in august, but recently joe and i were looking for apartments on the upper east side. we walked around and went into regular doorman buildings asking around if they had a leasing office or any rooms available. so we checked out this place on york and 90th and when we walked to the door the doorman opened the door and said, "no menus!" i was shocked and wanted to fuck this guy over. how could he automatically assume this? what if we were visiting a friend or family or something like that? i was offended and if i had to go to that place again and see that guy i would have made it a fact to make sure he would never say that again to any remotely-delivery-man-looking person.


Comments

11:32 AM
i didn't even realize the newyorkish had this blog entry on the "no menus" policy this past monday...

http://www.newyorkish.com/newyorkish/2004/05/making_the_best.htmlthat doorman must have had one too many run-in with chinese delivery men. pavlovian reaction to a chinese-looking person -- no menus!

8:44 AM
That's just ridiculous. I'm so glad that you yelled at the lady. This is one of the main reasons why I don't like to live in the U.S.

Post a Comment